|[Data]||[<Normal page] [PEREZGONZALEZ Jose D (2012). Nutritional balance of rice cravers (descriptive statistics). Knowledge (ISSN 2324-1624), 2013, pages 85-88.] [DOI]|
Rice cravers' BNI (description)
Perezgonzalez assessed the nutritional balance of rice cravers3 in 20121, as part of a research on the nutritional composition of snacks in New Zealand. This article provides descriptive information both about the sample of products under research (foodBNI) as well as about a hypothetical diet based on those products (dietBNI).
The distribution of nutritional balance, as shown in illustration 1, was rather flat, due to the small number of products under research. The median was located at BNI 60.60 and the middle 68% of products ranged between BNI 42 (P16) and BNI 74 (P84). There was a slight positive skewness (mean=60.77, zSkew=1.59), although, given the size of the sample and the shape of the distribution, this may be of little practical importance.
The distribution of nutritional balance varied slightly according to the particular recommended dietary intakes (RDIs) of reference, although all followed a pattern similar to the one just described. Even so, this group of products appeared slightly less unbalanced under US' and WHO's RDIs than under UK's and Australia's RDIs.
|Illustration 1: Food's nutritional balance distribution|
|Unstandardized||small||medium||large||( Avg.StDev )|
|effect size4||3||8||13||( 16 )|
Correlations between indexes were high, thus supporting the idea of a common pattern in the distribution of nutritional balance across international indexes for this particular group of products.
|Illustration 2: Correlations (Pearson and Spearman)|
|r / rho||BNI||WHO||US/CAN||AUS/NZ||UK|
As part of a hypothetical diet where all products contributed the same weight of cravers, the resulting nutritional unbalance would remain practically the same for all indexes (when attending to the unstandardized effect size for this group).
|Illustration 3: Diet's nutritional balance|
|(Values per 100g)|
Exploratory study for mapping the nutritional balance of rice cravers3 in New Zealand.
A sample of 13 rice craver products, including diverse brands and flavors, and other relevant categories (see Perezgonzalez, 2012a1). Notwithstanding this, the actual products were collected in a convenient manner from four major national supermarket chains. The final sample covered most of the population of these products available at those supermarkets.
Variables of interest for this research were the following:
- Weight contribution of seven nutrients (protein, carbohydrate, sugar, fat, saturated fat, fiber and sodium) to 100g of a food product.
- The Balanced Nutrition Index (BNI) of each food product, as calculated from above variables.
- Aggregated information for the sample of products (foodBNI).
- Aggregated information about the individual nutrients for the simulation of hypothetical diets (dietBNI).
Materials & analysis
Relevant data were collated after purchasing the food products or by capturing such information from producers' websites if this information was available and was deemed reliable. The data were then assessed using the Balanced Nutrition Index™ (BNI™) technology (see Perezgonzalez, 2012b2).
SPSS-v18 was used for the computation of variables, including BNI and international indexes, and for descriptive statistical analyses.
Although the research sample captured a large proportion of the rice craver products available at the time, the resulting sample is still too small as for inferring anything beyond the group of products here described. It is recommended to collate the data from this group with that of related groups of products if inferential analyses are intended.
Want to know more?
- BNI analysis of individual rice craver products
- You can access either the BNI™ database or the 'BNI™ journal (2013, issue 1) - Yummy cravers' for individual nutrition analyses of each food product in the sample.
- Wiki of Science - Nutritional balance of foods
- This Wiki of Science page collates information about several foods on a single page and provides useful links to the appropriate files.
- Wiki of Science - Nutritional balance of rice cravers (introduction)
- This Wiki of Science page provides an introductory descriptive analysis of the nutritional balance of rice cravers.
Jose D PEREZGONZALEZ (2013). Massey University, Turitea Campus, Private Bag 11-222, Palmerston North 4442, New Zealand. (JDPerezgonzalez).