|[Data]||[<Normal page] [PEREZGONZALEZ Jose D (2012). Nutritional balance of potato crisps. Journal of Knowledge Advancement & Integration (ISSN 1177-4576), 2012, pages 320-322.]|
Potato crisps' BNI
Perezgonzalez assessed the nutritional balance of potato crisps3 in 2012, as part of a research on the nutritional composition of snacks in New Zealand.
Potato crisps had, on average, a nutritional unbalance of BNI 44.98-fb, being particularly biased towards deficiency in fiber. They were also adequate in carbohydrate and sugar, high in fat, saturated fat and sodium, and low in protein.
Potato crisps appeared as equally unbalanced according to international Recommended Dietary Intakes (RDIs), slightly less so according to US/CAN and UK standards.
|Illustration 3: Nutritional balance across international RDIs|
|WeightWatchers Crinkle Chips cheese & onion||WeightWatchers||24.72||14.72||12.18||22.33||22.18|
|WeightWatchers Potato Bakes sour cream & chives||WeightWatchers||33.34||21.14||20.51||30.98||22.65|
|WeightWatchers Crinkle Chips roast chicken||WeightWatchers||36.78||20.28||23.92||34.65||26.63|
|Pringles cheddar cheese||Procter & Gamble||65.49||63.09||56.07||56.58||47.49|
|Pringles the original||Procter & Gamble||66.39||63.99||56.07||56.58||47.49|
|Healtheries Air Popped Potato Bites sour cream & chives||Vitaco Health||67.85||53.48||52.57||62.57||58.20|
|Healtheries Air Popped Potato Bites sea salt||Vitaco Health||69.54||54.46||54.39||64.39||59.31|
|Pringles sour cream & onion||Procter & Gamble||69.96||67.56||56.58||57.10||48.00|
|Pringles hot & spicy||Procter & Gamble||72.28||70.35||58.86||59.27||51.95|
|Pringles Texas BBQ||Procter & Gamble||76.90||74.56||63.34||63.85||55.01|
|Pringles salt & vinegar||Procter & Gamble||88.00||85.73||73.06||73.55||64.96|
|(Source: Perezgonzalez, 20122)|
The research sample contained 11 potato crisp products2, including different brands and flavors, collected in a convenient manner.
Materials & analysis
Relevant data were collated, then assessed using the Balanced Nutrition Index™ (BNI™) technology (see Perezgonzalez, 20111). SPSS-v18 was used for the computation of variables, including BNI and international indexes, and statistical analyses.
Want to know more?
- BNI analysis of individual potato crisp products
- You can access either the BNI™ database or the 'BNI™ journal (2012, issue 7) - Crispy crisps' for individual nutrition analyses of each food product in the sample.
- Wiki of Science - Nutritional balance of potato crisps (descriptive statistics)
- This Wiki of Science page provides further descriptive information about the nutritional balance of potato crisps.
- Wiki of Science - Nutritional balance of foods
- This Wiki of Science page collates information about several foods on a single page and provides useful links to the appropriate files.
Jose D PEREZGONZALEZ (2012). Massey University, Turitea Campus, Private Bag 11-222, Palmerston North 4442, New Zealand. (JDPerezgonzalez).