[PEREZGONZALEZ Jose D (2012). Nutritional balance of wheat cravers (descriptive statistics). Knowledge (ISSN 2324-1624), 2013, pages 74-77.] [DOI] [Printer friendly]
Wheat cravers' BNI (description)
Perezgonzalez assessed the nutritional balance of wheat cravers3 in 20121, as part of a research on the nutritional composition of snacks in New Zealand. This article provides descriptive information both about the sample of products under research (foodBNI) as well as about a hypothetical diet based on those products (dietBNI).
The distribution of nutritional balance is shown in illustration 1. The median was located at BNI 55.65 and the middle 68% of products ranged between BNI 45 (P16) and BNI 69 (P84). There was a sensible positive skewness (mean=58.39, zSkew=3.68), probably exacerbated by the most extremely unbalanced product within the small sample.
The distribution of nutritional balance varied slightly according to the particular recommended dietary intakes (RDIs) of reference, although all distributions followed a pattern similar to the one just described. Even so, this group of products appeared less unbalanced under WHO's, UK's, Australia's and, especially, US' RDIs.
|Illustration 1: Food's nutritional balance distribution|
|Unstandardized||small||medium||large||( Avg.StDev )|
|effect size4||3||7||11||( 14 )|
Correlations between indexes were high, thus supporting the idea of a common pattern in the distribution of nutritional balance across international indexes for this particular group of products.
|Illustration 2: Correlations (Pearson and Spearman)|
|r / rho||BNI||WHO||US/CAN||AUS/NZ||UK|
As part of a hypothetical diet where all products contributed the same weight of cravers, the resulting nutritional unbalance of such diet would remain practically unchanged for most indexes, and it would only improve slightly when assessed using the US index (ie, 43.48 - 40.07 = 3.41, as small difference as per the unstandardized effect size for this group).
|Illustration 3: Diet's nutritional balance|
|(Values per 100g)|
Jose D PEREZGONZALEZ (2013). Massey University, Turitea Campus, Private Bag 11-222, Palmerston North 4442, New Zealand. (JDPerezgonzalez).
Want to know more?
- BNI analysis of individual wheat craver products
- You can access either the BNI™ database or the 'BNI™ journal (2013, issue 1) - Yummy cravers' for individual nutrition analyses of each food product in the sample.
- Wiki of Science - Nutritional balance of foods
- This Wiki of Science page collates information about several foods on a single page and provides useful links to the appropriate files.
- Wiki of Science - Nutritional balance of wheat cravers (introduction)
- This Wiki of Science page provides an introductory descriptive analysis of the nutritional balance of wheat cravers.