PEREZGONZALEZ Jose D (2012). Nutritional balance of corn crisps (descriptive statistics). Knowledge (ISSN 2324-1624), 2013, pages 1-4. [DOI] [Printer friendly]
Corn crisps' BNI (description)
Perezgonzalez assessed the nutritional balance of corn crisps3 in 20122, as part of a research on the nutritional composition of snacks in New Zealand. This article provides descriptive information both about the sample of products under research (foodBNI) as well as about a hypothetical diet based on those products (dietBNI).
The distribution of nutritional balance, as shown in illustration 1, covered a wide range of values, possibly exacerbated by the small number of products under research. The median was located at BNI 76.98 and the middle 68% of products ranged between BNI 42 (P16) and BNI 121 (P84). There was a slight positive skewness (mean=78.49, zSkew=0.99), although, given the shape of the distribution, this may be of little practical importance.
The distribution of nutritional balance varied slightly according to the particular recommended dietary intakes (RDIs) of reference, although all followed a pattern similar to the one just described. Even so, this group of products appeared slightly less unbalanced under US's, Australia's and UK's RDIs than under WHO's RDIs.
|Illustration 1: Food's nutritional balance distribution|
|Unstandardised||small||medium||large||( Avg.StDev )|
|effect size4||6||16||26||( 32 )|
Correlations between indexes were high, thus supporting the idea of a common pattern in the distribution of nutritional balance across international indexes for this particular group of products.
|Illustration 2: Correlations (Pearson and Spearman)|
|r / rho||BNI||WHO||US/CAN||AUS/NZ||UK|
As part of a hypothetical diet where all products contributed the same weight of crisps, the resulting nutritional unbalance would decrease slightly. Such diet would "benefit" more under Australia's and UK's RDIs (15 and 19 units on the scale, respectively) than under the other RDIs (around 11 units on the scale).
|Illustration 3: Diet's nutritional balance|
|(Values per 100g)|
Jose D PEREZGONZALEZ (2012). Massey University, Turitea Campus, Private Bag 11-222, Palmerston North 4442, New Zealand. (JDPerezgonzalez).
Want to know more?
- BNI analysis of individual corn crisp products
- You can access either the BNI™ database or the 'BNI™ journal (2012, issue 7) - Crispy crisps' for individual nutrition analyses of each food product in the sample.
- Wiki of Science - Nutritional balance of corn crisps (introduction)
- This Wiki of Science page provides a descriptive summary of the nutritional balance of corn crisps.
- Wiki of Science - Nutritional balance of foods
- This Wiki of Science page collates information about several foods on a single page and provides useful links to the appropriate files.