[PEREZGONZALEZ Jose D (2012). Nutritional balance of corn chips (descriptive statistics) (3e)4. Knowledge (ISSN 2324-1624), 2013, pages 56-59.] [DOI] [Printer friendly]
BNI of corn chips (description)
Perezgonzalez assessed the nutritional balance of corn chips5 in 20122, as part of a research on the nutritional composition of snacks in New Zealand. This article provides descriptive information both about the sample of products under research (foodBNI) and about a hypothetical diet based on those products (dietBNI).
The distribution of nutritional balance, as shown in illustration 1, clustered between BNI 41 (P16) and BNI 75 (P84), with the median located at BNI 59.22. There was a slight skewness towards lower levels of unbalance (mean=BNI 58.12, zSkew=-0.98).
Above nutritional pattern was almost similar under WHO's recommended dietary intakes (RDIs) but appeared somehow less unbalanced under US', Australia's and UK's RDIs. The overall shape of the distributions was similar under BNI's and WHO's standards, on the one hand, and under US', Australia's and UK's standards, on the other.
|Illustration 1: Food's nutritional balance distribution|
|Unstandardized||small||medium||large||( Avg.StDev )|
|effect size6||3||7||11||( 14 )|
Correlations between indexes were high, thus supporting the idea of a common pattern in the distribution of nutritional balance across international indexes for this particular group of products.
|Illustration 2: Correlations (Pearson and Spearman)|
|r / rho||BNI||WHO||US/CAN||AUS/NZ||UK|
As part of a hypothetical diet where all products contributed the same weight of chips, the resulting nutritional composition of such diet would still be unbalanced (dietBNI 57.78), sensibly less so when fiber is estimated (dietBNI 49.44). Such diet would "benefit" the most under UK's RDIs (dietBNI 27.37).
|Illustration 3: Diet's nutritional balance (corn chips)|
|(diet, fiber unest.)||57.78||54.58||42.21||42.47||37.93|
|(diet, fiber est.*)||49.44||46.98||36.18||36.71||27.37|
|(Values per 100g; *fiber content estimated from Doritos Burn2)|
Jose D PEREZGONZALEZ (2012). Massey University, Turitea Campus, Private Bag 11-222, Palmerston North 4442, New Zealand. (JDPerezgonzalez).
Want to know more?
- BNI analysis of individual corn chip products
- You can access either the BNI™ database or the 'BNI™ journal (2012, issue 6) - Corn utopia' for individual nutrition analyses of each food product in the sample.
- Wiki of Science - Nutritional balance of corn chips (further knowledge)
- Two Wiki of Science pages provide further introductory and inferential information about the nutritional balance of corn chips.
- Wiki of Science - Nutritional balance of foods
- This Wiki of Science page collates information about several foods on a single page and provides useful links to the appropriate files.